Ottawa’s Department of Medicine (Ottawa DOM-NFP) is an Ottawa based not-for-profit health corporation, formed in March 2019. Its goal is to promote the interests of the Department of Medicine affiliated with The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa and other regional healthcare institutes as well as partner with people and organizations that share our passion for achieving quality health care for all.
Our 500 physicians from 17 medical subspecialties include many world leaders with unique training, positioning them as true experts in their field. These physician researchers and clinical experts can provide unprecedented insight into how to provide the best patient care. Ottawa DOM-NFP is committed to nurturing a culture of innovation by building mutually beneficial partnerships with other healthcare experts, public funders, and private-sector investors in Canada and around the world to take projects to market quickly to the benefit of patients and communities using revenues to reinvest in clinical research, medical education and better patient care.
Located in the city of Ottawa, the Executive Director (ED) reports to and works closely with the Board of Directors. The ED has the overall strategic and operational responsibility for Ottawa DOM-NFP's staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The ED will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the Ottawa DOM-NFP vision and mission. The successful candidate will have proven leadership, coaching, healthcare, business, and relationship management experience. Primarily, the ED is responsible for:
- developing a plan for national expansion and completing the strategic business planning process for the program expansion into new markets.
- building partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion site.
- becoming an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
- managing the budget ensuring the operating plan and the allocation of financial resources align with the Board’s strategic plan.
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA, with at least 5 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Bilingualism is an asset.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter, quoting the corresponding position title, by email to email@example.com or by regular mail to Human Resources, Department of Medicine, Box 206, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but only those under consideration will be contacted.