our support staff recruitment and hiring process
“Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to.”
~ Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Group
job posting and application
- Vacancies are posted for no less than one week.
- Competitions are open to internal and external candidates simultaneously.
- To apply for a vacancy, individuals submit their cover letter and resume to DOMCareers@toh.ca quoting the corresponding job posting.
- Applications are assessed against the requirements of the position.
- Only candidates that best meet the requirements are contacted by Human Resources for an interview.
- Candidates are interviewed by the hiring physician(s) and Department of Medicine Human Resources.
- Candidates may be required to provide professional references at the interview.
- Multiple interviews may be required to find the best candidate for the job.
- The selected candidate will be contacted by telephone or emailed with a job offer.
- All candidates who attend an interview will be notified of the status of their application.
new employee experience
- New employees meet with Human Resources before starting their new job.
- Attending corporate orientation and providing a valid police record check are conditions of employment.
- Introduction to colleagues and co-workers.
Ottawa's Department of Medicine offers opportunities for growth and development, a competitive compensation package including health benefits and pension plan.
Although our employees have offices within The Ottawa Hospital, they are not employed by the hospital. Support staff are employees of the hiring physician(s) or subspecialty division however The Ottawa Hospital is the paymaster of our employees.